Saturday, February 21, 2015

< everything is better from scratch > Tzatziki dip



Everything is better from scratch and also, much healthier! I've learned so much these past few months working with my new trainer (hi Cara!!) about what kind of gross / toxic things are hiding in foods we consume every day. In order to be more attentive of what I put in my body, I've been trying to make more foods from scratch.

For some reason, I was craving the traditional Greek sauce Tzatziki! I found a few recipes online but (as usual) I didn't follow it exactly and ended up just doing my own thing. Here is how I put it together

What you need:

1 cucumber
3 5oz containers of plain Greek yogurt
olive oil
dill
lemon
garlic

Mixing the ingredients

First, you'll want to grate your cucumber - I left the peel on. Once it's all the way grated, you want to put it in a strainer and push a plate on top. The weight of the plate will squeeze all the water out. The cucumber should as dry as you can get it - I got impatient and tried to squeeze the water out with my hands.

Mix your yogurt, with the dill (I probably used a good 2-3 tablespoons), 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the juice of half the lemmon and 2 cloves of garlic (fresh, not powdered). I also added some fresh pepper as well as some lemon zest.

Mix your dried cucumber in last and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. I covered mine in tinfoil and left it to chill for 90 minutes (that's as long as I could make myself wait before trying it!)


You can eat this with practically anything - a topping on burgers, with some carrots / celery for dipping, or like me - with chips :)

Its super refreshing and flavorful - mine was almost spicy from the garlic. It definitely tasted like more!

What's your favorite thing to make from scratch?

No comments:

Post a Comment