Monday, August 19, 2013

Tex-Mex {vegetarian} lasagna

I decided to share this awesome recipe with you guys! My mom was really helpful in finding new recipes after I decided to become a vegetarian. I love my moms original lasagna, but it has ground beef in it. She found this recipe in a 'Good Housekeeping' and I love it!


What you need is:

2 tsp. vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
1 small onion, chopped
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 16oz jar of salsa
1 cup fresh or frozen corn (I use canned)
1 tbsp. no-salt added chili powder
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
6 oven ready, no-boil lasagna noodles (I use 8)
1 can fat free re-fried beans (I replaced this by using 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed)
8 oz shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves

This might seem like a lot of ingredients, but it is honestly such a simple, delicious recipe!

1. Heat up the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray your pan with cooking spray (I use olive oil Pam).

2. Heat the oil in a big pan (I needed to switch mine to a bigger pan half way through!). Add the onion, and after 2ish minutes, add the zucchini, salsa, corn and chili powder. Cook for 3 minutes, stir occasionally. Remove from heat.

3. Spread half of the tomato sauce on the bottom of your sprayed pan. Lay 2 lasagna noodles on top of the tomato sauce (or 4, as I did, it's kinda up to your own preference). Add 1 can of black beans, or half the can of re-fried beans. Top that off with half the vegetables. Lay more noodles down, and top with half of the cheese. Top off with the rest of the tomato sauce, noodles, beans, and vegetables. Top it off with the rest of the cheese.

4. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and back for another 15 to 20 minutes. Top with cilantro after letting it cool for about 5 minutes. 

This recipe has about 365 calories per serving (less when using fat free cheese and black beans). It is a perfect dinner and from what I have seen there were no leftovers for the next day...it disappeared very quickly :)

Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment