Tuesday, June 26, 2012

. thankful Tuesday .

There are some days where you just have to be thankful...today is one of those days, and I want to thank my parents. Now don't get me wrong, no words will EVER be able to express my gratitude towards my parents and what they have done for me, but this is just an attempt to scratch the surface.


I as a kid was always well off, and my parents made sure that Lynne and I had everything we needed and most of the time what we wanted too. I never really appreciated anything and took most stuff for granted. My sister did an exchange with a Polish girl while she was in high school. The girl came to Holland to live with us for a week and Lynne went to live with her another week. That winter we decided to go to Poland to go skiing. We went to visit the girl and she invited us in to their apartment. I have never seen such a small place, it was tiny and there were 4 people, 2 children and their parents. It was a 1 bedroom apartment, the kids slept in the bedroom and the parents slept on a pull out couch in the living room. They were the sweetest people and were just so thankful for what they had...that trip opened my eyes and made me even more thankful for what I had, which was so much more then they could ever dream of.

When I decided to go to college, my parents told me they would pay for my school. Too many people these days are forced to start their lives off in debt by taking out student loans and my parents had the option of paying for our school. My first semester I lived in the dorms and it wasn't quite working out, so I started looking for apartments. My dad thought it was a better idea to buy a house, so my parents bought a house here in NY.

When I moved from NY to VA in 2010, I was having a hard time keeping my head above water. Its so hard to make ends meet when you have so many bills and only a tiny little paycheck. I was only working part-time, so my parents helped me out with whatever I needed. I learned pretty soon that I didn't need to go on shopping trips and that there was a difference between necessities and luxuries. I had been living without TV or internet for over a year in order to save money.

In March I had a complete nervous breakdown. I was having to rely on my parents even after having gotten a full time, 40 hour a week job. How can you work 40 hours a week and not make ends meet? There is no way that there should have been days where I made sure Izzie was fed, but there was no food for me. I couldn't save any money because there was nothing left, and I still had to rely on my parents.

Being 26 and pretty much not being able to take care of myself (yet) is extremely difficult. I hate having to rely on my parents for money, I'm sure that when they had me they were thinking it was an 18 year commitment, money wise, not 26. I hate that I'm not able to provide and take care of my own. I'm not working because there are hardly any jobs here, I've applied everywhere. Going to file for unemployment will unfortunatly have to happen at the end of this week if I don't have a good lead on a job yet.

You just never think that you have to ask your parents for money, just to buy groceries, or get gas. I don't go shopping, I don't eat out, I don't have TV because I don't NEED that stuff.

If it wasn't for my parents, I don't know where I would be...on the streets maybe? I could have been homeless if it wasn't for my parents being able and willing to help me out and that is a hard conclusion to draw. I am so lucky to have parents that are as giving as they are. They only want what is best for me, but for them to get in financial troubles themselves because I need help is not ok. I cannot wait for the day where I have a job that provides for what my needs are, my wants can come later on!

Thank you mom & dad, from the bottom of my heart. No words can ever, EVER  describe how grateful I am for you guys. I would rather not think about what would or could have happened if you weren't able/willing to help me out! I can't wait for the day where I can repay you...maybe by giving you a grandbaby :) someday?

This is what I am so grateful for

{ A beautiful family that love each other no matter what! }


What are you thankful for?

xoxo E

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sweetie! You know how much we love you and hate to see you struggling! But even in this God has a plan and by the way...I signed up for life with you and your sister! I'm thankful that you are my beautiful daughter and can't wait to see where your journey takes you! Keep your chin up and a smile on that lovely face!

    ReplyDelete